Thursday, December 3, 2009

The only things that are for certain in life are death, taxes, and change!


  Change, I hate change, I have always had a difficult time with change, more so as a small child but I still don't like it at 46, I've just learned to deal with it. Now, I don't want to get into a philosophical argument about how mankind never changes, that man is and will always be the same. I know that as a religious man, God is the only true constant, he is the only certainty we can count on, he is the Alpha and the Omega. No, I'm talking about change on a more personal level, changes in my life. Things like changes in your work, changes in your finances, changes in your family, etc... 

  You've heard the age old adage that the only certain things in life are death and taxes, well I'm adding change to the list, death, taxes and change. If there is one thing you can count on (as a constant in your life) it is change. It is always present making the present the past. You would think that as a human who is changing from the day of conception to the day we die that it would be part of our DNA or mental makeup, the ability to accept and embrace change, yet most of us fight it. The difficulty with no change in your life is that you can't grow or mature or progress in any way without change taking place, they go hand in hand.  Although we all understand that change is inevitable, embracing the unknown and uncertainty that comes with change is at best frightening, and sometimes even painful. The worst part is that I'd rather live in undesirable situations than to go through the scary course of change. 

  Okay, I'm a coward when it comes to dealing with change, I admit it, but you have to admit that change is difficult for most everyone.  There are those few who are really okay with change, I admire people who are okay with change and I try to surround myself with those people who are better at dealing with it than I am. My wife is one of the only people that I know who is courageous enough to actually pursue change. Crazy isn't it! She is proactive in making change happen, you can probably understand how uncomfortable this makes me feel. I must admit that the changes have always improved our situations. So, now as a full grown adult male, I play along with the crazy attitude that everything changes eventually and we should all embrace it and even own it. Yes, I put up a great facade of confidence and assertiveness on the outside, but on the inside I'm still a chicken lilly livered little baby who is afraid of change. 
  

Every artist has drawings of centaurs and pans in their sketchbooks and I'm no different. My wife hates these kinds of drawings, sorry honey but they were in the box, so here they are. I haven't posted my unicorns or minotaurs yet so keep an eye out. 

Disgusting, sometimes I surprise myself with what's in my head.

I always find the cow thing really weird but if you are going to do centaurs then why not a uh...... what do you call this?




This is for my dad, the wizard.

4 comments:

  1. Great drawings Craig. It's great how natural some of those creatures seem because of their poses. And you're right about change, as cliche as this cliche is, the only real constant is change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick. Too many boobs. I like the fat lady centaur the best. What's changing so much that its got you up in arms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I see some 'junk in the trunk'? EWWWW! Geez, draw some clothes on!! They are already half goat (gross!) so make a little CHANGE here and give them some clothes! EWWWWWWWWW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't listen to them Craig, boobs are beautiful...even on a half goat, beastly creatures!

    ReplyDelete