Thursday, April 16, 2015

Seeing Past The Shell

These drawings of elephants, with their wrinkles and sagging skin, made me think about older people.  I've always had a weird rapport with older people (which is strange since I have always feared growing old myself).  The gap in age has narrow between me and who I would consider old, but to this day, if there is an older person in the room or wherever I happen to be, they will gravitate towards me and strike up a conversation. I can appreciate the people stuck inside of those old bodies and maybe they sense that I can see past their shell of age. I've always had the ability to look past the wrinkles, past the old outer shell that covers their bodies, and see the other person, the person that they are inside. I look into their eyes and I see untapped wisdom, and a treasure-trove of life experiences.  I see a young spirit filled with vigor that is trapped in a body that is no longer capable of achieving there desires.

I have a great deal of respect for the elderly for they have endured much. With that being said, I never forget that being old does not automatically make them nice or safe. They are who they are, like any of us, the only difference is that they got old. I love to hear their stories about their lives from the past, it gives me a better understanding (perspective) of who they are at present. 

One thing is for sure, we all get older. It creeps up on you and one day you look in the mirror and say, ‘Who is that person staring back at me?’


 These are sketches done throughout the production of "TEMBO"







These are sketches of Kitcha the Oxpecker.





The back of sketch books always end up with some kind of drawing on them.




The cover page of scripts are also susceptible to sketches.





1 comment:

  1. Speaking from experience, you also connect with younger people that are old souls. Maybe it is less age that make people connect with you and more your ability to truly listen to someone's story and not just hear it? Maybe it's the way you put your talent and energy into deepening the thoughtful details of life? Maybe it's your disarming smile quick wit? Maybe those that are more wise can sense these things? For sure it's not your jokes or that soul patch, but that's for another blog post! : )

    Regardless, I am betting that those that encounter you leave more inspired because of the interaction. Again, I speak from experience.

    Beautiful elephants but just so you know, they really don't have wings. ; )

    ReplyDelete